Cardiology is a medical speciality dealing with the study and treatment of heart disorders. Its a medical branch that involves care of all things related to the heart and arteries. The field includes medical diagnosis and treatment of a variety of heart problems such as congenital heart defects, heart failure, valvular heart disease, coronary artery disease and electrophysiology. Heart diseases are not the same as cardiovascular disease as the former is all about the heart while the latter also involves diseases of blood vessels. Cardiologists are the physician who specialize in this field while Paediatric cardiologists treat heart ailments of children only.
When to see a cardiologist?
There are some symptoms and signs your heart or chest may give and you should not ignore them. They may be an indication for you to see the cardiologists immediately. These signs or symptoms may include
- Severe pain or discomfort in the chest
- A feeling of pressure of squeezing in the chest
- Chest pain that turns intense and does not go away by rest
- Pain in the chest with shortness of breath
- Dizziness or fainting or nausea or vomiting with the chest pain
- Sweating skin
- Weakness or fatigue of the unexplained variety
- Problems in swallowing
- Heart palpitations
- The pulse going rapid or irregular